Sustainable Development Goals
In our previous post , we talked about how the sustainable route requires a team effort. Today, we want to introduce you to the biggest global effort to make the world a better place.
In 2015, all the State Members of the United Nations adopted a program called “ The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development ” that consisted of implementing a plan of action for people, the planet, and prosperity, now and into the future.
There are 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which urgently call for actions by all countries in a global partnership, with the objective of working towards ending poverty, improving health and education, reducing inequality, and spurring economic growth. All while addressing climate change and working to preserve oceans and forests.
Trendy Seconds is helping this effort inspired by these goals, and we’ll get there. But first, let’s take a look at them.
UN Sustainable Development Goals:
- No Poverty: Donate what you don’t use.
- Zero Hunger: Waste less food and support local farmers.
- Good Health and Well-Being: Vaccinate your family.
- Quality Education: Help educate children in your community.
- Gender Equality: Empower women and girls and ensure their equal rights.
- Clean Water and Sanitation: Avoid wasting water.
- Affordable and Clean Energy: Use only energy-efficient appliances and bulbs.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Create job opportunities for youth.
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: Fund projects that provide basic infrastructure.
- Reduce Inequalities: Support the marginalized and disadvantaged.
- Sustainable Cities and Communities: Bike, walk or use public transportation.
- Responsible Consumption and Production: Recycle paper, plastic, glass, and aluminum.
- Climate action: Act now to stop global warming.
- Life Below Water: Avoid plastic bags to keep the oceans clean.
- Life on Land: Plant a tree and help protect the environment.
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: Stand up for human rights.
- Partnership for the Goals: Lobby your government to boost developing financing.
Trendy Seconds’ purpose fits with goal number 12: “ Responsible Consumption and Production ”, which does not only refers to recycling some materials but in a broader sense talks about how the worldwide consumption and production rest on the use of the natural environment and resources in a way that continues to have a destructive impact on the planet.
We are focused on building a platform to showcase secondhand and sustainable clothes, so more people can easily access a broad range of more sustainable pieces, through a convenient shopping experience, giving them the power of making a positive impact through their choices. The effects of buying any of these pieces have a positive impact on our carbon footprint, which relates to goal number 13: “Climate Action.”
Want a shocking fact? Should the global population reach 9.6 billion by 2050, the equivalent of almost three planets could be required to provide the natural resources needed to sustain current lifestyles.
As the United Nations states, “sustainable consumption and production is about doing more and better with less. It is also about decoupling economic growth from environmental degradation, increasing resource efficiency, and promoting sustainable lifestyles.
Sustainable consumption and production can also contribute substantially to poverty alleviation and the transition towards low-carbon and green economies.”
These goals fit on one page, but they are very challenging and ambitious. The good news is, that we can all make the effort together from our range of action to contribute in every way possible and lead by example, to inspire others to do the same.
We are ready to take on this challenge, are you?
If you want to collaborate with us or want us to help in any way we can, send an e-mail to email@example.com, we are always happy to hear from you.
Maria F. Burgos
Founder & CEO